Prevent Winter Mold
When people think of home damage that happens in winter, they typically think of house fires, or maybe flooding. However, mold can also be a problem in the winter.
There are a few reasons for this. Because your house is more closed off in the winter, everyday humidity from things such as showers, cooking, even breathing, can add up. Normal winter hazards like rain, fog, and melting snow can seep through roof leaks and structural gaps, causing mold in places like your attic and wall voids. Condensation dripping off pipes and windows into a heated home can also encourage mold growth.
Here are a few tips to prevent mold growth in your home in the winter:
- Make sure your indoor humidity stays below 40%.
- Vacuum and clean regularly, especially in humid areas like your bathroom and kitchen.
- Make sure you have good air circulation in your home.
- Don't store things such as books, paper, and clothes in a humid area like your basement.
- Have your roof checked for defects and fix any that exist.
- Insulate pipes to make sure they don't burst.
- Find the source of any condensation on unusual places (pipes, windows) and fix it immediately.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 304-429-2233
About SERVPRO of Huntington
SERVPRO of Huntington specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.